Friday, September 5, 2008

A Sick Grandmother is a hopeless Grandmother

Last week we attended Jan's sister farewell party: she is now officially a pensioner! It was lovely to hear so many sing her praises. We sat there shining in her "reflected glory". It is obvious that she will be sorely missed! Back at their house, we all had a nap, but when I woke up, I realised something was amiss. I took some pills, but had to go to bed early. The next day I was not able to get up at all: I just felt very lousy and feverish and lay very still. We drove home on Sunday and it was a miserable trip. Usually I enjoy traveling with Jan, but this time, I just wanted to get home so that I could get in bed. On Monday I felt much better: the fever had gone, there were absolutely no signs of a cold (thanks to Viral Choice) and Thelwyn and Martelize came to visit. I suggested to Thelwyn that she start using the playmat and carrier sling (drasak - not sure what you call it in English) and the next day I got photos on my cell phone of Martelize on her mat and on her sling. You are a good Mommy, Thelwyn and a good daughter!

On Tuesday I went back to work and I felt fine. In the afternoon I went for my annual mammogram (everything still the same here) and a bone density test: since stopping HRT (as my new gynae had instructed last October), I have lost 5 % bone density as am now "Osteopenic". I am not impressed. Must go and see my gynae! A year of hot flashes and now this also. It is not funny. By next year I'll really look like a granny! A very old hunch back granny!!

Anyway, on my way back from the radiologists I popped in at Thelwyn's. Martelize was her usual sweet self. While we were having tea, Martelize lay on the couch next to me, watching the brown leather back of the couch. That would not do, so we got her black and red bee (beetle?) to look at and believe me, she really watched it intently. I put the wing into her little fist and she even hung onto it for quite a few seconds. She has started to smile and I got a few smiles. And
she was not even 5 weeks yet.

I went home and to my dismay, the fever started all over again. My head spun and my limbs ached - a funny, burning ache when I stood. I also started to feel nauseous: I think it because of the medication. (I am never nauseous! I have more sympathy for pregnant fairies now!) I can just pray that these secondary bugs did not get passed on to Martelize or Thelwyn. I have been absent from work now for the whole of this week, except Tuesday. I cannot remembered ever having been off sick from work for more than a day or two!

I have not seen Franco for more than a week. It feels like a hundred years. I talk a lot to Dorette on the phone, but it is not the same as seeing him. He has started school this week because Dorette had to go back to work on Monday. The idea is that they will get me a car seat for him, and that I will fetch him from school on occassion. I just have to figure out when.... I have to get to a dress maker next week (Tuesday at the latest!), to visit my friend Rita before our matric reunion at the end of the month and I have to renew my driver's license NB, NB....

Franco Ouma will get round to it to fetch you and play with you all by ourselves. It is just that this flu has set me back a mile and now I will have to catch up again!

1 comment:

Dorette said...

We miss you too!

Lots of love