Saturday, November 13, 2010

Neither rotten nor good

DSC07619 I bought a box of green avocadoes a while ago and was very disappointed when they all had black spots before they were fully ripe and useful.  On cutting them open, most were still edible.  However with the green flesh dotted with small black marks, it looked very unappetising- certainly not presentable to guests! Serving it would certainly bring no honour to me! 

I looked at the rest of the box: what would I do with them?  Throw them all in the green waste bin or try to salvage them by cutting out the black spots?  What a chore!  Would it be worthwhile or would the avo’s turn black and unusable immediately, forcing me to throw them out anyway and without receiving any “fruit” from them?

It made me think…am I a “usable avo with clear spotless flesh” or am I dotted with black spots?  Am I useful?  Can’t be if I’m dotted with black spots! 

God, please do not give up on me!  Don’t throw me out – please cut out the rotten pieces. I cannot do it on my own: I need your grace!   I want to glorify you!

5 comments:

retha said...

I am next to you in that prayer.

Once has similar avocados, I mashed it all up and added mayonnaise. Did not taste bad to me at all. Only thing you can't have sugar avo on a slice of bread.


(verification: opsesi. Hoop nie dit is hoekom ek n plan wou maak met daardie avokado kolle)

Miekie said...

Hi Retha
Thanks for the tip! Avo's are a must eat apparently. I'm desperately trying to get to my goal weight and all this good oil seems to help.

Jordan@Me and My 8 said...

What a thought-provoking thing.

And I LOVE avocados. I could eat them as a whole, or I could eat a whole dish of guacamole! Mmmmm.

Sandra said...

En wat het jy toe met die res van die boks gedoen Miekie? :-)

Miekie said...

Hi Arnold Mommy
I too love avocados! The good news is that one is supposed to eat at least one every day - they are so good for you and even lower cholesterol. My biggest treat is when I get home from school to spread a slice of bread with 1/2 an avo and to sprinkle it with flaxseed. Since doing that (and stopping junk like margarine and aspertame) my weight has dropped with more than a kilo! Will blog about this...

Hi Sandra
Ek het dit wat ek kon geëet en die res het die goggas daarbuite gekry. Hendrik gaan gooi gereeld die "groen" emmer iewers in die veld uit.