Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tidy up!

The assessor of the insurance company was here yesterday and luckily there were no problems. Hopefully I'll soon have a new computer and Jan and Hendrik their new cameras! Jan must get a quote for his hairclipper today, so that he can buy it before he needs a haircut. His ring was stolen, so we can get shop for a new ring too. That should be fun. We can get married again!

Going through all the warranties and instruction booklets, to get proof that we owned these things, I realised that the study was due for a major overhaul, so this week
I tried to tidy the study!!
I sorted a pile of papers on Jan's desk into 17 different files yesterday.


Jan seemed very grateful last night and will now also drill a hole through the desk so that the spiderweb of cables can be tidied up!




My own "now" files with titles like "Addresses", "Blog and Internet", "Book", "Health" and "Overseas Holiday" I keep on their backs in a pigeon hole above my desk, so it is not difficult to shove papers into them. My desk is also cluttered most of the time, but never with such a pile of "deurmekaar" papers! Today I want to figure out a way of how to make filing and keeping tract of papers easier for Jan and I need to check the contents of some of my files - especially one marked "Recent Receipts"! We regularly keep book of our expenses and then immediately throw away the receipts, but I keep ones of things that I might have to return like small appliances, car batteries and the like.



Thanks Frans and Gert for my pigeon holes: they work well!
Making new calenders and a new Excel bookkeeping file also took up a big chunk of my last week of holiday. My last back-up was Feb 2009, so at least I did not have to do it totally from scratch, but still.
Other small opuses this last week of holiday was to really get the smaller mats clean - they never look good, even after a lot of vacuuming. I discovered that the magic broom - the green one that they advertise on T.V. does wonders to lift hairs and stuff out of the mats. I was so surprised to see how much hair accumulates in such a mat. We do not even have pets in the house, so I guess a lot of the hair is my own! Yuck. Anyway I am really chuffed with my clean mats, especially in our bathroom and bedroom. I loosen the hair with the broom or handbrush and then vacuum away. Last night Jan lengthened the cord of the vacuum cleaner with 5 metres. What a difference - no more "gesukkel" with unrolling extention cables and plugs that get caught around every nook and corner! Thanks Jan!!
P.S. I have started on the filing cabinet and came across 2000 (the year) Pretorium Trust statements: Shoprite amounts were mostly R30 - R40; big Shoprite amounts were between R250 and R300 and the monthly total for Pretorium Trust (including several tanks of petrol circa R150) was between R2000 and R3000 a month... and those days we still fed three students! Our latest Pretorium Trust total is R8168 - without any petrol. Generally Shoprite and Spar amounts are above R100 and a big one at Menlyn Hyper was R1,785.24! What will our Shoprite shopping trips cost in 10 years time?

7 comments:

retha said...

The cost of living has changed dramatically.

Good to see the insurance episode is going well.

Sandra said...

Altyd lekker om 'n nuwe jaar met georganiseerde leers te begin :-).
Is dankbaar dat die versekeringsmaatskappy nie te lank sal sloer met julle eis nie.
Geniet die shopping

Thea said...

Presies die takie wat ek ook hierdie naweek gaan aanpak Miekie! Dis mos eers die slag as jy dringend goed benodig dat mens agterkom hoe agterstallig jy met jou liasseerwerk geraak het!

As mens eers oor die skok en die woede is en baie tyd moes spandeer om al die nodige eisvorms by die assuransie in te vul en alles wat daarmee gepaard gaan, is dit "after all" dan nie te sleg om jou ou goed met nuwes te vervang nie. Ai, net nog steeds jammer van al jou foto's wat nou vir goed weg is!

Nimsi se Blog said...

As jy daar by jou klaar is, is jy nie dalk lus om vir so n week of wat by my te kom kuier nie?

Geniet die inkopies, tog jammer dat die nuwe "goeters" nooit die sentimentele waarde van die oues sal hê nie ne!

lekker naweek vir julle

Desire Fourie said...

Hi Miekie. Eks so jammer, dit klink asof julle 'n inbraak gehad het. Hoop julle is okay. Ja nee, dis skokkend hoe kruideniersware se koste net styg en styg en glad nie tred hou met salarisse nie. Eintlik boer ons maar almal 'n bietjie agteruit. Lekker studeerkamer regruk. 'n Geseende 2010 vir julle.
Mooi bly.
Desire

mariki said...

WONDERLIK dat jy weer "op die lug" is!! Maar baie, baie sleg oor wat gebeur het. Dankbaar net dat julle veilig is. En ssssterkte met die gevolge, dis nie maklik om te kom waar mens voor die tyd was nie. Soveel verlore tyd!

Maar die Vader is nog steeds in beheer, né.

Jan and Miekie said...

Hi Retha
True - I keep on saying I won't pay THAT for brokkoli, but in the end I do - we have to eat...

Hi Sandra
Die eis is afgehandel maar ons wag steeds vir die regmaak van die sekuriteitshek en natuurlik vat die hele computerding ook 'n hele rukkie...

Hi Thea
Dis waar - die nuwe goed is lekker. Ek is besig om die kamera te verken en kan nie wag vir my computer nie. Ek is net bly vir die blog - ten minste is daardie fotos behoue. Hulle moet nou net nie vir google steel nie .... en google beter nie "crash" nie!

Hi NImsi
Dis waar oor die sentimentele waarde - maar dis al Jan se ring nr 3 en my ring is ook al ring nr 3, so ons is nie te hartseer nie. (My eerste ring verloor, tweede een is gesteel. Jan se eerste was vir jare te klein en toe verloor hy dit, kort nadat hy dit laat vergroot het. Die tweede een - die een wat nou gesteel is, is redelik onlangs laat maak.

Hi Desire
Dankie. Sterkte vir 2010 ook vir julle. Gaan julle weer berge klim?

Hi Mariki
So goed om van jou te hoor! Dis so lekker om te weet ons is in die holte van Sy hand maak nie saak wat gebeur nie. Ons is BAIE DANKBAAR ons het niks oorgekom nie.