Friday, June 5, 2009

Thankfully on the Road


I drive exactly 50 km to work every day. This week I tried Pollyanna's glad game on my way to work:
I don't complain about the long road to work: At least I have a job and thereby one that I really love. (I blog all about it in homeschoolingaspecialchild. It's listed in my bloglist in the sidebar.) Just think about all the people who hate their jobs and worse, all the people who do not have jobs...

Thankfully not all days start like this....However, on cold days like this, I am grateful for the car heater and my gloves - and especially for Jan who always opens the gate before breakfast! Come to think of it, I am extremely grateful for the breakfast that either he or Hendrik makes every morning. They are keepers for sure!

My departure scene: the red reflector tape cross we put in the garden Christmas 2008. Like the big cross on the koppie, it is a comforting sight. I especially like this one, because it is so very close to home - a personal thing.

The sun is rising... a sign that I should have left at least 5 minutes earlier...! But what a glorious sight!


The T-junction with the Moloto road. I was once in a nasty accident here - on my way home from work. Today I just enjoy the view. The car lights in dawn are actually pretty.

Now is also the time to drink my "coffee" - a mug of boiling water. Jan fills it for me every morning - I am a spoilt woman! If you look carefully you can see in which varsity hostel Jan was and what radio station I listen to. I am not so much an early morning music person; I prefer discussions on current issues. Radio Impact has a message this time of morning and I like to listen to that too.

The infamous Moloto Road... but look at the view through my back window!


(If you wonder why you see more car than view, it's because I am driving and just clicking away without having an idea of what the camera is capturing!)

Some of the many buses on the road. I am very thankful for my little car and that I do not have to go to work in one of those... Let's spare a thought for the millions of people who have to get up in the middle of the night to get into one of those to get to work in time!


Here I just had to get out of the car to snap the sunrise. Hendrik passed me here and I got a very concerned phone call of a late-on-his-way-to-work son. "Is Ma O.K.?"

Passengers next to the road. Broken down buses are a common sight and then there are these hords of people desperately trying to get a lift. All the other buses are full and do not stop. They have to wait until doomsday for a substitute bus.

The radio (and Thelwyn) warned that there was an accident on the high way, but seeing that the street through East Lynne is often blocked when there is a jam on the high way, I decided to risk it... waiting at the toll gate, I realised I had made a mistake - but there's no turning back of course. I am thankful today that my car does not have funny rubber burning smells as it has had before in such traffic jams.
I hope the accident is not as bad as the one I encountered yesterday (Thursday) afternoon on my way home on the Atterbury bridge. (There a truck trailer had overturned - in the hour after I had crossed same bridge to go to Menlo Park and before I came back again!)
I am very, very grateful that a) I was not in that accident and b) that I did not see it happen! The photos of that accident are horrific - miraculously the woman in the squashed car escaped with only a cut hand!

To while the time on the road, I play games with number plates: see how long it takes me to go through the alphabet starting with the car in front of me... This black car has one of the "newest" number plates i.e. YFW. I have yet to find a YG... Gauteng car.

Finally the scene of the "accident" - it looks like just another "broken down truck". There are broken down trucks, or trucks that have lost their load, somewhere on the N1 nearly every single day - especially a little further South between Atterbury and Rigel Avenues. The economic impact they have in terms of lost man hours - and increased stress levels- must be enornmous!

The flow of traffic improves, but it is still slow - the road works on the N1 ask for patience, patience, patience! But.... think of the improvement once the road works are completed!

Near Menlyn and the temperature has increasead significantly - I switch off the heater.

Properly late, I am glad that there are no trucks on this hill close to Mooikloof - the posh residential area where I work. Atterbury Road is narrow here and it is impossible to overtake - there is a loooong solid line.

Once inside Mooikloof, I relish the splendour of the area: the houses and the views are magnificent - and the crisp, blue sky is a treasure.

The temperature on arriving at the Tamerin's house. Unfortunately I am now too late for us to go to our water aerobics class. We'll go again on Monday. I am grateful that Tamerin's cold is better and that she can swim and do water aerobics again. I am thankful that I can exercise in work hours - I have lost 4 1/2 kg since February!

Homeward bound: I am glad I can go home early. Hardly any traffic on the N1 North - but look at the opposite side!

Thank heaven for E-tag. The toll gate costs me R13.20 per day, but fortunately I do not have to queue.

Back on the Moloto road and a late afternoon magnificent sky - I feel God's presence in that light. Can't stop to take a photo and point the camera through the dirty window in the right direction, but then the road turns.

Again pedestrians next to the road.

Winter on Malperthuis. I pray that the grass will not burn down. One sees veld fires nearly every day. We have just spent R3000 on fire breaks, but they will not really help if there is a wind blowing.

The garden cross as seen driving up to the house - it is visible all the way as you drive up the farm road and gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Thank you for a welcome by Farao and Jakkie!

Look at all the leaves in the road....! Thank you for cleanly swept and watered lawns.

I get out of the car and there is the moon already.

Last but not least, I am thankful for a cleanly swept "agterplaas." Herzberg said that good environment factors like an empty dustbin do not make one happy - merely satisfied - but that poor environmental factors - like a dirty dustbin - made one seriously unhappy! I am determined to notice environment factors more and to be grateful for the small stuff.

13 comments:

mariki said...

Liewe Miekie, dankie vir die saamneem op die reis. En nog meer dankies vir jou instelling van geborge dankbaarheid in ons Vader, hoor. Het my so aan my oorlede Oumoeder herinner.

En dit is na alles, baie mooi om God se handewerk te mag sien en beleef, né. Mag Hy jou met elke wieldraai, veilig bewaar.

(Net 'n vragie: vanwaar "Farao"?!)

Salige naweek toegewens.

retha said...

My goodness, that is a very long way to go to work. I know the area you come from and where you go to. And to think of what to be grateful for instead of how many times another car/bus/taxi is "bumping the angels" all around the car is something I can learn to do.

We often drive on the Boschkop road early in the morning the sun and field there is such a 'lafenis' for our souls.

Jan and Miekie said...

Hi Marike
Dankie vir die saamkuier! Al ons diere (die kinders se perde) kry name volgens die alfabet - een letter vir elke jaar. Hierdie jaar se aankomelinge se name sal almal met 'n J begin. (Dis nou almal behalwe Shrek wat die nakomeling is van 'n lelike buurperd wat dit durf waag het om deur die draad te breek en een van die mooie Arabiere te dek...! Shrek is darem baie lief en hy is yslik groot.)
Thelwyn-hulle het in 2000 met die letter A begin omdat hulle toe met nuwe hingste begin teel het. My Ma se stoet het tot by U gegaan. In alle geval Jakkie (sy was my ma se hond) moes eintlik 'n T naam gehad het,(sy in in 1998 gebore) maar sy is Jakkie omdat sy in die Jakaranda tyd gekoop is. Sy het my ma - en ons- baie vreugde gebring. My Ma is verlede jaar op opstanding Sondag oorlede. Ons het Farao by die S.P.C.A. gekoop in die F jaar, maar hy was toe volgens hulle al 3 jaar oud, so eintlik moes sy naam met 'n C begin het. Ons noem toe sy maatjie (ook 3 jaar oud, ook 'n Labrador, ook 'n SPCA specimen) toe Caesar sodat ons altyd sou kon uitwerk hoe oud hulle was en wanneer ons hulle gekry het. Hoekom Farao en Caesar? Wel hulle regeer hierso jy weet. Caesar is ongelukkig verlede jaar dood.

Hi Retha
My grandmother used to say "It is an ill wind that blows no-one any good." There are always some perks in a "bad" situation and seeing the sunrise and sometimes a rabbit or other wild life makes up for having to get up early and having a looong road.

mariki said...

Dankie vir die oulike ABC-naamgeestorie. Ek lief dit; maar dit sal nie vir my werk nie -- sukkel dan om my kinders op die regte naam te noem!

Jan and Miekie said...

Mariki Haha!

Sandra said...

Het daai pad nie baie gery nie, net as ons gaan kamp het - vanaf Garsfontein en dit was altyd dolbesig. En jy neem sowaar foto's terwyl jy daai gevaarlike pad bestuur ?!

Hou ook van jou naamgee storie.

Miekie said...

Hi Sandra
Ja wel - ek dink om 'n kamera se knoppie te druk terwyl jy ry val seker in dieselfde klas as praat oor 'n selfoon...! Ek loer darem nie wat ek kliek nie - hoop maar vir die beste en hou altwee oe op die pad en die stuurwiel goed vas met een hand en ek jaag nie soos 'n besimpelde nie, maar jy's reg - sal nie weer nie. Wou darem net die pad onthou vir eendag omdat dit so 'n groot deel van my daaglikse lewe uitmaak.

Muriel said...

Dit was 'n lekker inskrywing met pragtige foto's en ek herken al die paaie!! Uhmmm pasop een van die mooi dae staan ek voor jou deurtjie!!! *wink*

Ek is mal oor julle kruis!!!

Lekker week
Groete

Miekie said...

Hi Muriel
Jy is enige tyd baie welkom! Ek sit solank die ketel aan.

Nimsi se Blog said...

Hallo Miekie
Daagliks die moloto - East lynn pad gery werk toe (Sonitus skool).
Goeie "blinde" fotos!

Thea said...

Hi Miekie! Ken daai pad ook goed! Dankie vir die kykie na hoe 'n dag in jou lewe verloop. Pragtige sonsopkoms!! Ek vind ook die naamgeeery interessant!

Desire Fourie said...

Wow Miekie, julle bly in 'n ongelooflike mooi omgewing. Kan nie glo jy reis elke dag 50km werk toe. Dit alleen is 'n definitiewe aanduiding dat jy passievol oor jou werk is. Om op te staan in 2 grade vat definitief deursettingsvermoe. O ja, die bruid het nog nie haar goedkeuring van die voorbeeld kaartjie gegee nie. Wag nog in spanning. Dis moeilik om te se hoe lank dit vir so 'n kaartjie neem. Maar as die ontwerp is daar is, sal dit my seker 2 dae neem om die 35 kaartjies te maak.

Kelly said...

What a wonderful way to spend your drive! We should all be thankful for the many blessings (large AND small) that God gives us every day--thank you for the reminder :).